Now Hiring: Director of Programs
The Council is seeking a Director of Programs. The position is located in Valdez, Alaska.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Executive Director and serve as part of the senior management team. This person will oversee day to day staff operations in the Valdez office and be responsible for direct supervision of six project managers and overall management of terminal, tanker, oil spill, drill monitoring, and environmental monitoring projects and programs as provided in approved annual work plans.
Minimum qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education or experience and at least five years of project management experience. Experience with contracting, budgeting, staff supervision, volunteer management, oil spill prevention and response, the region impacted by the Exxon Valdez oil spill, and working with a board of directors is desirable.
The Director of Programs is expected to:
- As directed by the Executive Director, provide oversight for overall operations in the Valdez office
- Provide management functions for all oil spill response, contingency planning, environmental monitoring, terminal operations, maritime operations, and drill monitoring projects and programs
- Keep the Executive Director informed of issues relating to programs/projects or other areas of PWSRCAC’s work as appropriate
- Provide direct supervision for six project managers
- Assist project managers with development of program and project goals and objectives
- Ensure that staff work products meet quality standards and established timelines
- Direct development of short and long term program and project goals and planning documents for consideration by the Executive Director and the Board of Directors
- Ensure that PWSRCAC program/project goals are consistent with the organization’s mission statement, one page strategic plan, the contract with Alyeska and the Oil Pollution Act of 1990
- Schedule regular meetings of the Long Range Planning Committee, set deadlines for project manager and committee material submittals, compile and incorporate new information for the Long Range Plan (link to PDF)
- Work with project managers to develop technical committee, program, and project budgets
- Review planned and actual expenditures for committees, programs and projects and track compliance with the approved budget
- Facilitate and support volunteers, including coordination of PWSRCAC technical committees, project teams and working groups
- Attend meetings of the technical committees and project teams to monitor progress and provide guidance and direction as appropriate
- Participate as a member of the PWSRCAC Emergency Response Team at drills, both announced and unannounced, and during actual incidents
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent education or experience, preferably in subject areas relevant to the responsibilities contained in the position job description
- At least five years’ experience in program and project management. Experience with project accounting, contract management, budgeting, staff supervision, management of volunteers, and working with a Board of Directors is desirable.
Salary DOE. Position is located in Valdez, Alaska. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
Download full job description: Director of Programs
Send a cover letter detailing your qualifications, resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org attention Donna Schantz, Executive Director. First review of candidates will begin August 1, 2017.
The position is open until filled.
Contingency Plan Reviewers
The council is also seeking contractors to help review oil spill contingency plans. More information is available here: Request for Proposals or Requests for Qualifications