The Council’s board of directors will meet in Valdez on Thursday and Friday, May 3 and 4, 2018. Meeting location: Valdez Civic Center
The tentative schedule for the Thursday session is set to run from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. On Friday, the meeting is scheduled from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The meeting is open to the public, except for executive sessions. Public comments are scheduled to be taken Thursday starting at 9:00 a.m.
The Council will be conducting regular business during the meeting, including seating of established directors and committee members, election of new board officers, recognition of volunteers, and adoption of the council budget for the next fiscal year beginning July 1, 2018.
Other topics included on the agenda are:
- Presentations regarding the change in Alyeska Pipeline Service Company’s marine services contract provider from Crowley Marine Services to Edison Chouest Offshore – set to take place July 1, 2018 – by Alyeska and the Council. Key oil spill prevention and response assets covered under this contract include nine new purpose-built escort tugs, one anchor handling tug, four new oil spill recovery barges and the associated personnel for service in Prince William Sound.
- A presentation on updates to regional and area planning in Alaska by the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.
- An update on amendments for both the Valdez Marine Terminal and Prince William Sound Tanker contingency plans within Prince William Sound.
- Approval of a Council-commissioned report synthesizing peer-reviewed chemical dispersant literature published since the Deepwater Horizon incident.
- Approval of a Council-commissioned Port Valdez Circulation Study report, completed in conjunction with the Prince William Sound Science Center, to better understand the dynamic oceanographic processes that occur in Port Valdez waters by season.
- An update from the Native Village of Eyak on their efforts to construct a deep-water oil spill response facility at Shepard Point near Cordova, Alaska.
- A presentation about community outreach provided throughout the Exxon Valdez oil spill region during the past year.
The meeting agenda provided is subject to change before or during the meeting. Council Board meetings are routinely recorded, and may be disseminated to the public by the Council or by the news media.
Community reception on May 2
In conjunction with the board meeting, the Board of Directors for Alaska Tanker Company and the Council will be jointly sponsoring a public reception on Wednesday, May 2, 2018. The reception will be held from 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Valdez Civic Center. The public is welcome to attend.
- Final agenda Updated April 27. 2018
- Download a final digital packet with bookmarks – great option for laptops and e-readers! Please note: this version was updated with new information for the meeting on April 27, 2018.
- All meeting files
Board meetings are routinely recorded, and may be disseminated to the public by the council or by the news media.