The council’s board of directors will hold a board meeting in Valdez on Thursday and Friday, May 5 and 6, 2016.
The tentative schedule for the Thursday session is to run from 8:30 am to 4:45 pm. On Friday, the meeting is scheduled to begin at 8:30 am and adjourn at 2:00 pm. The meeting is open to the public, except for executive sessions.
MASTER OF DISASTER – FREE EVENT – In conjunction with the board meeting, council staff, volunteers, and interns are hosting a family-friendly, “Master of Disaster” event after the board meeting. The event will be held Friday, May 6 from 3:30-5:30 p.m. in and around the Civic Center. Valdez residents of all ages are invited to attend and learn about oil spill response through seven fun and interactive stations. Each participant who fills up their “Master of Disaster” passport given at the door will receive a free gift. More information: Become a Master of Disaster!
Public comments are tentatively scheduled to be taken Thursday starting at 8:55 am.
On the agenda:
- An overview of the standards for the escort tugs, barges, and other equipment that is required for oil spill prevention and response in Prince William Sound
- A presentation about potential changes by the Alaska Regional Response Team to the Regional Stakeholder Committee, that allows stakeholders an opportunity to provide input in the event of an oil spill or pollution incident
- A presentation on how oil dispersants may impact the health of wildlife
- A presentation on recent changes to how dispersants are approved for use in Alaska
- An update on council outreach activities for the past year
The following scientific reports and studies will be discussed for approval by the council:
- The potential use of satellite imagery for early detection of oil spills
- An analysis of ballast water discharge from Prince William Sound tankers
Council board meetings are routinely recorded, and may be disseminated to the public by the council or the news media.
Download meeting materials:
A final agenda is now available: Final Agenda for May 5 and 6 Meeting of PWSRCAC Board of Directors
Meeting materials are available here: May 2016 Meeting of the PWSRCAC Board of Directors