The Council will hold a board meeting in Anchorage on Thursday and Friday, January 24 and 25, 2019. The meeting will be located in the Imagine Ballroom of the Embassy Suites, at 600 E. Benson Blvd (Google map).
The tentative schedule for the Thursday Board meeting session is from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. On Friday, the meeting is scheduled from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The meeting is open to the public, except for executive sessions. Public comments are tentatively scheduled to be taken Thursday starting at 8:55 a.m.
The Council will be conducting regular business during the meeting, including updates from Council ex-officio members, staff and committees. Other topics on the agenda include:
- An overview from the U.S. Coast Guard on work to date, concerns, and future plans regarding Valdez Narrows navigation safety during fish openers.
- An activity report by Alyeska Pipeline Service Company on Valdez Marine Terminal and Ship Escort/Response Vessel System operations, including Alyeska’s recent reorganization.
- A presentation by Council staff on the heavy weather related incidents that occurred on November 12, and two subsequent severe weather events, with Council recommendations to develop procedures to improve crew safety and the safe transportation of oil.
- A presentation by U.S. Coast Guard on the Alaska Regional Contingency Plan and updates that have been implemented.
- A report that identifies and reviews non-destructive methods that could be used at the Valdez Marine Terminal to test the integrity of the buried secondary containment liners at the East Tank Farm.
- A report on weather related conditions at Hinchinbrook Entrance and their effects on the feasibility of efficient and safe rescue operations by tanker escort vessels.
- A summary by Council staff of incidents (e.g., oil spills, fires, malfunctions causing shutdowns, navigational closures, tanker/escort problems) for the terminal or tankers that have occurred in 2018.
The meeting agenda provided is subject to change before or during the meeting. Council board meetings are routinely recorded, and may be disseminated to the public by the council or by the news media.