The Council held two events in Homer on Thursday and Friday, September 21-22, 2023, including the Council’s annual board meeting and a public reception.
On the agenda:
The Council conducted regular business during the meeting, including updates from Council ex officio members, staff and committees. Other topics included on the agenda were:
- An activity report by Alyeska Pipeline Service Company on the Valdez Marine Terminal and Ship Escort Response Vessel System operations, including an update on Alyeska’s efforts to address concerns identified in the Council’s report “Assessment of Risks and Safety Culture at the Valdez Marine Terminal.”
- An update from the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Division of Spill Prevention and Response.
- A presentation by representatives from Polar Tankers on the vetting process for foreign flagged tankers being brought into our region.
- A presentation on marine bird surveys conducted in Prince William Sound in March of 2023.
- Consideration of a resolution urging the U.S. Coast Guard to homeport a sentinel-class, also known as fast response, cutter in Port Valdez.
- An update from Council staff on efforts to address the issues and recommendations included in the Council’s report “Assessment of Risks and Safety Culture at the Valdez Marine Terminal.”
- A report on an analysis of samples taken from the Valdez Marine Terminal’s Ballast Water Treatment Facility to identify a component of hydrocarbons not currently monitored or regulated, known as hydrocarbon oxidation products.
- A summary of data analyzed from the Council’s weather buoys located near the Valdez Marine Terminal and Valdez Duck Flats.
- A presentation on the updated “Peer Listener Training Manual,” an appendix to the Council’s “Coping with Technological Disasters – A User-Friendly Guidebook.”
*Council board meetings are routinely recorded and may be disseminated to the public by the Council or by the news media.
Presentations are available at the bottom of this list:
2-01 List of Commonly Used Acronyms
2-02 August 3, 2023 Budget Status Report
2-03 PWSRCAC Director Attendance Record
2-04 PWSRCAC Committee Member Attendance Record
2-05 List of Board Committee Members
2-06 One Page Strategic Plan
2-07 List of Recent Board and Executive Committee Actions
2-08 PWSRCAC Organizational Chart
4-01 Report Acceptance- PWS Marine Bird Winter Surveys
4-02 Approval of Resolution in Support of Coast Guard Cutter Homeporting
4-03 PWSRCAC Efforts to Address VMT System Integrity and Safety Culture Issues
4-04 Report Acceptance – Oxygenated Hydrocarbons
4-05 Report Acceptance- Port Valdez Weather Buoy Data Analysis 2019-2022
4-06 Report Acceptance- Peer Listener Training Manual
4-07 PWSRCAC Long Range Planning
Presentation by Polar Tankers on Vetting Process for Foreign Flagged Tankers
Alyeska/SERVS Activity Report – September 2023
4-01 PRESENTATION – PWS Marine Winter Bird Surveys.pdf
4-04 PRESENTATION – Report Acceptance – Oxygenated Hydrocarbons
4-05 PRESENTATION – Port Valdez Weather Buoy Data Analysis 2019-2022
4-06 Presentation – Peer Listener Manual